Skip To Content

Should I Do a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange?

You may be asking, “should i do a 1031 tax deferred exchange?”

We’ve gotten this question from someone who owns a property out of state in another resort town (much further from her home).

The simple fact is that she has owned it for 25 years and has $200,000 of equity in that home. When she sells that home, she could end up paying a fair amount of money in capital gains tax. But, by doing a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange, she can sell that home, roll the hundreds of thousands of dollars of equity into a new purchase here in our resort market, and defer the capital gains to the new property. 

This means that she’s not going to have to pay the capital gains tax on the sale of the property in a location that’s farther away. 

By doing this, you can do it legally through what is called a 1031 tax deferred exchange which is essentially deferring the capital gains down the road.

Trackback from your site.

Comments are closed.

About our blog

Our agents write often to give you the latest insights on owning a home or property in the local area.

Global Site Tag: